Today I’m so excited to share one of my new favorite cake mix recipes for Spring and Summer – Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies.
These Easy Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, and bursting with a delicious fresh lemon flavor that’s out of this world!
Not to mention these glazed lemon cookies are oh so pretty and made with just 5 simple ingredients.
If you want to learn how to make lemon cake mix cookies, then keep reading below and watch my step-by-step video tutorial over here.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel for weekly recipe videos!
Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies – Only 5 Ingredients
Just like my popular red velvet cake mix cookies, these glazed lemon cake mix cookies are beyond delicious and SO easy to make.
Similar to my easy lemon bars, they’re BURSTING with a yummy fresh lemon flavor – perfect for spring and summer baking season.
Plus, you only need 5 simple ingredients to make these easy lemon cake mix cookies and the lemon flavor both in the cookie and glaze is absolutely amazing.
Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies Ingredients
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Juice – I recommend freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor.
How to Make The BEST Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies – Helpful Tips
1. Refrigerate Your Cookie Dough
One tip I always recommend when making any type of cake mix cookies is to refrigerate your dough for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour before baking them.
Cake mix cookies tend to be a lot stickier in consistency than regular cookie dough, and if you don’t chill them first, they are MESSY to work with.
2. Use A Cookie Scoop
As mentioned above, these lemon cake mix cookies have super sticky cookie dough, which is why I recommend always using these awesome cookie scoops.
Using a cookie scoop makes the process quick, easy, and mess-free, and ensures all your lemon cookies turn out the same size.
3. Use Parchment Paper
Another cookie must-have? Parchment paper! I recommend using pre-cut parchment paper for easy, mess-free, and even baking! AKA: No more burnt cookie bottoms
4. Don’t Overbake Them
For perfectly soft and chewy cookies, only bake until the edges are set.
The center will look slightly soft/underbaked but will continue to firm up as the cookies cool
5. Switch Up the Flavor
These lemon cake mix cookies are absolutely delicious, but if you ever want to switch it up, here’s some yummy variations to try!
P.S. Check out my full guide on How to Make Box Cake Better over here
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies Variations
- Add 1 tsp fresh lemon zest to the cookie batter or glaze for a stronger lemon flavor
- Add some colorful sprinkles on top of the wet glaze to make them extra pretty
- Add in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips to the cookie batter
- Don’t glaze them and instead roll them in powdered sugar before baking for a lemon crinkle cookie
- Add in 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans for an added crunch
MORE CAKE MIX DESSERTS:
Pin For Later
Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies FAQ’s
What are lemon cookies made of?
These glazed lemon cake mix cookies are made with just 5 ingredients including a lemon cake mix, oil, eggs, powdered sugar, and fresh lemon juice.
Can I use a different flavor cake mix?
Yes, but keep in mind that lemon cake mix will give you the best results.
If all you have on hand is vanilla or yellow cake mix you can still make this recipe work by adding 1-2 tbsp of lemon zest or 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice to the batter.
Can I add extra lemon juice or lemon zest?
Yes, but these cookies are already delicious and full of lemon flavor, as is.
That said – if you want them even more lemon-y, you can either add in 1 tsp of lemon zest to either the cookie dough or glaze, or add 1-2 tsp of extra lemon juice to the cookie dough.
Just remember – lemon zest is far more concentrated/stronger than lemon juice so don’t go overboard.
What’s the best lemon cake mix for cookies?
My favorite is Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme, but any lemon cake mix will work.
Can I omit the glaze?
Yes, but keep in mind the lemon glaze adds a lot of lemon flavor to these cookies – and in my opinion really makes these cookies outstanding!
But, if you don’t want to glaze them, I’d recommend adding some 1-2 tsp of extra lemon juice or 1 tsp lemon zest to the cookie dough batter for the best lemon flavor.
How to Store Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
These glazed lemon cake mix cookies can easily be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. No refrigeration necessary!
Can You Freeze Lemon Cake Mix Cookies?
Yes, you can freeze baked or unbaked cake mix cookies in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
If freezing baked lemon cake mix cookies, I recommend leaving off the glaze and adding it once you’re ready to eat them.
Bake uncooked cookie dough balls from frozen as normal, adding an additional 1-2 minutes bake time if needed.
To thaw baked cookies, set them on your counter and let come to room temperature before glazing/eating.
You can also microwave them for 10-15 seconds at a time until warm.
How to Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies with Glaze (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 1: Prepare Cookie Dough
First, prepare your cake mix cookie dough by combining your lemon cake mix, oil, and eggs.
Cake mix cookie dough is quite thick and sticky, so I recommend using an electric hand mixer for easy mixing.
Cover and place in the fridge to chill for a minimum of 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Step 2: Scoop and Bake
Once your cookie dough has chilled, use a small cookie scoop and place cookies spaced apart on a lined baking sheet.
I usually do 6-8 cookies on a cookie sheet at a time.
Bake in the oven 8-10 minutes until the cookie edges are set and the center still looks slightly soft. The cookies will continue to firm up as they cool.
Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool further while preparing glaze icing.
Step 3: Prepare Cookie Glaze
In a small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk together until a smooth drizzle consistency.
Step 5: Glaze Cookies and Enjoy!
Place cooling rack over the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Lightly dip the cookie tops one at a time in the glaze, allowing excess to drip down before turning the cookie over and placing back on the cooling rack. This helps prevent messes.
Repeat until all cookies are glazed and allow the glaze on the cookies to fully set up before eating and storing away.
Doesn’t it look SO yummy?!
These Easy Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, and bursting with a delicious fresh lemon flavor. You only need 5 simple ingredients to make them!
- 1 15.25–oz box lemon cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil (I recommend light olive oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine lemon cake mix, oil, and eggs with an electric hand mixer until fully combined. The dough will be sticky and thick.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once dough has chilled, use a small cookie scoop and place cookies spaced apart on a lined baking sheet. I usually do 6-8 cookies on a cookie sheet at a time.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookie edges are set and the center still looks slightly soft.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool further while preparing glaze icing.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk together until a smooth drizzle consistency.
- Place cooling rack over the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Lightly dip the cookie tops one at a time in the glaze, allowing excess to drip down before turning cookie over and placing back on the cooling rack. This helps prevent messes.
- Repeat until all cookies are glazed and allow the glaze on the cookies to fully set up before eating and storing away.
Store leftover lemon cake mix cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Lightly dipping will give your cookies a pretty crackled appearance, but if you prefer you can dip the tops all the way down in the icing for a thicker glaze.
Keywords: Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, Lemon Cake Mix Cookies with Glaze, Easy Lemon Cookies, Easy Lemon Cake Cookies, Best Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, Cake Mix Cookies, Easy Cake Mix Cookies, Cookies with Cake Mix, Cake Mix Desserts
MORE CAKE MIX COOKIE RECIPES:
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for Easy Glazed Lemon Cake Mix Cookies! Do you love lemon desserts for Spring too? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post