How to Make Your Face Look Slimmer: Hairstyling & Makeup Tricks!
Having a slimmer-looking face and body has been a goal of women for decades, and fortunately, with the help of hairstylists, makeup and the right clothing, women are able to achieve this.
Slimming your face with makeup is easy, and costs much less than going under the knife. Also, getting a face-flattering haircut will give you the appearance of being a little skinnier as well.
As for clothing, not all women have the same problem areas, so learning and identifying your own problem areas can help you choose clothing that can soften the negatives while focusing on your body’s positive areas.
It all sounds easy enough, but if you’re not applying or using makeup correctly, you could end up looking like you just stepped out of a clown car. Fortunately, achieving a slimmer face and all-around look can be done if you know the right tips and techniques for making it happen.
That being said, here is a look at some makeup tricks and hairstyling tips that will make your face appear slimmer.
Hair Styles and Face Shapes
We’ll begin with your hair because it’s one of the first things someone notices about you.
Also, if you’re sporting the wrong hairstyle, even a skinny person could look a few pounds heavier. So in an effort to avoid this, let’s begin with defining your face shape in relation to hair.
To find the right hairstyle for your face shape, you’ll need to know which shape your face is.
- So begin by taking your hair into a ponytail, and pinning your bangs back to reveal your face.
- Look into a mirror, and then use a slightly wet bar of soap to trace your face’s outline onto the mirror.
- After you’ve drawn the outline of your face, then you can determine what your face shape is.
Round faces typically have a large, curved forehead and a round chin. They will appear to be full with only a few angles due to cheekbones that are wider than your brow or jawline.
Also, the widest areas of a round face are the ears and cheeks. To style hair with a round face, it’s helpful to draw the attention upward to make your face appear longer.
To do this, have your hairstylist cut a few layers in your hair, and remember that hair longer than your chin will help give you a slimmer-looking face. Part your hair slightly off center, and create more height by teasing hair at the crown.
To make a round face look slim, stay away from hairstyles that require you to pull all of your hair away from your face – unless you have more height on your hair.
Round faces look good with hair that is longer than chin length, and will help to avoid looking a few pounds heavier.
Women with oval-shaped faces are said to have the perfect face shape; this is because it tends to be very versatile in regards to hairstyles.
Oval faces have very little to worry about when they’re in the hairstylists chair. Since nearly any hairstyle flatters an oval face, you don’t need to worry about having layers below or above your chin.
You can have long, short, shoulder-length or any length in-between, and you’ll still have a flattering hairstyle.
Something that could give you a slimming look is to ask a stylist to cut your hair so that it frames your face.
One more thing to note is that you’ll want to avoid covering your face too much with a heavy fringe.
A heart-shaped face is described as having a wide forehead and a chin that’s narrow. To slim a heart-shaped face, it’s best to use hairstyles that make your forehead look narrower, while also making the narrow chin appear wider.
Try a cut that falls at your chin like a bob with a side-parted hairstyle.
However, beware of adding too much volume at the crown of your head because this draws the eye up, and could make it seem like you have a conehead!
A long face with hollow cheeks falls into the category of a rectangular, long or oblong face shape. Your face will be the same width from your forehead, and the jaw will slightly decrease in size near your chin; this is similar to a square face, but slightly more round.
If you’re in this class, you already have a slim face, so keep your hair at a short-to-medium length to avoid over-dramatizing your features.
Square faces tend to have a square jawline and straight hairline, so the goal is to create a slim-looking face by making your face seem longer. Part your hair to the side, and try adding bangs to your look.
Also, add volume and height to your crown to create height, and keep your hair longer than your chin!
Having long and straight hair can make your face seem a few pounds heavier, so use soft waves and curls to mask the sharp lines of your jaw. You can try an asymmetrical bob to add length to your neck, which will make you look slimmer.
Using Makeup to Slim Your Face
- Begin by using your everyday foundation and concealer on a clean and moisturized face.
- Complete the eye makeup routine to your liking, and then use your blush brush, bronzer, blush, or a pressed powder (one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone) to contour your cheeks. Avoid using powders that have shimmer because matte will look more natural and effortless, and if you make a mistake, it’s easier to conceal. Use a blush or angled face brush to apply the matte bronzer or pressed powder onto your jawline and temples. Be sure to blend the powder well so there are no visible lines, and use a makeup wedge or translucent powder to work the lines out.
- The next step is to apply the bronzer to the hollow area of your cheeks located under the apples of your cheeks; this creates more angles on your face. Find the hollows by sucking your cheeks in before applying the powder. Move your brush toward your hairline to make the contouring look natural.
- Boost the look by adding a small amount of blush to the apples of the cheeks.
- After blush, you can use a skin-toned eyeshadow or highlighting powder to tap onto your cheekbones directly under the eyes. Then apply the same highlighting powder or shadow under your eyebrow. It is okay if the highlighting product you use has shimmer since it’s placed where light naturally touches your face, and gives your skin a natural glowing appearance.
Hopefully, you enjoyed our makeup & hair styling tips and tricks on making your face look slimmer, in the next article we will focus on what to wear to look slimmer instantly, so come back soon for more!